The documentary attestation of Valea Lungă village dates from the beginning of the 14th century. In 1309 reference was made to the existence of an archdiocese that also included Valea Lungă village and to the name of the priest of that settlement, Arnold de Longavalle.
In the 14th century, the settlement was mentioned several times in various historic documents. In 1322, Karol Robert, king of Hungary, donated Valea Lungă village together with Micăsasa village, as well as villages Pănade and Șona in Târnava Mică valley to Grof Nicolaus of Tălmaciu. Until then the aforementioned settlement had belonged to Prince Ladislau from whom they were taken for unfaithfulness and given to Nicolaus. Nicolaus died in 1340 without successors.
The king presented that estate to Prince Tomas, except for Valea Lungă village – then called “Huziuazo” and for Micăsasa village, which the king kept in his property. In 1359 Valea Lungă still was part of the royal estate. But in 1395 the village was owned by several noblemen. Reference was made in that year to a delimitation between Jidvei and Bălcaciu village and from Valea Lungă as well, of the noblemen there.
The church was constructed in the late Gothic style, without an Evangelic church hall, in the 14th century; in 1729 a new coffered ceiling was built, with 118 panels. The baroque altar and pulpit date from 1725; the stone baptismal font and gargoyle on consoles are from the Middle Age. The church possesses fragments of naïve mural painting. The crypt under the church choir was used as ossuary. The walls of the circular fortifications are made of crushed stone and are five metres high. Two of the six towers survived. In 1981 the bell tower was reconstructed on the foundation of the old collapsed tower. The two bells date from 1592 (the small one) and, respectively, from 1710 (the large one).