Mihăileni consists of 5 villages: Mihileni (the seat), Metiș, Moardăș, Răvășel and Șalcău.
In 1324, King Karol Robert of Anjou seized Şalcău estate and the fortress there, which was owned by loan county ruler of Tălmaci, and donated them to prince Toma of Transylvania; 1389, 1391, the serfs from Şalcău and Mihăileni participated in the riots of the population around Sibiu against the Sibian upper class; 1467, the territory of the village belonged to county ruler Nicolae of Ocna, who owned Saldorf (Mihăileni), Salgo (Şalcâu) and Albeşti; in the 15th century the inhabitants participate in Kardoş lanoş’s riot. Most rioters were serfs who had fled from their counties because of the exploitation and who sought refuge in Saxon boroughs. 1514 – during the peasant war led by Gheorghe Doja, numerous mutinies took place on Hîrtibaciu valley, in particular around Nocrich.
Over 1758-1761, during the requisition of Orthodox churches by General Bukow’s people, the village inhabitants did not let the United priest enter the church. The Orthodox population could further practice their religion due to the intervention of friar Sofronie accompanied by a strong guard;
In 1794, the entire Mihăileni village was destructed by a strong fire, and the authorities of Transylvania arranged a collection in order to assist the inhabitants and reconstruct the village;
In 1848, in March, the serfs in Buia, Vecerd and all the villages in the vicinity turned against noble people; the riot, generated by the general frustration and in the framework of the revolution begun in whole Transylvania, was stifled by the army; in the autumn of the same year serfs rioted again, starting from the Buii valley and from Ghijasa to Bîrghiş, where they gathered in a large rally; the second day, they surrounded the houses of the noblemen whom they seized and took over the Olt river. The situation lasted until the end of the revolution. On the occasion, several noblemen died, which made the authorities organise a retaliation campaign in April 1849, when many rioters were executed on the spot and their leaders (27 in number) were imprisoned; subsequently, all of them were hanged.
1850, the priest of Şalcău was arrested being accused of mutiny, was taken under escort to Sibiu; Pavel Lebu, the priest in Mihăileni, was also arrested for the same reason in 1859; the United priest was taken from the village by force and threatened with death. The lands in Mihăileni were owned by many noblemen, among which Miske Ştefan and his successors: Rhedei Klara, Donath Katerina, Sekely Paul, Marillai Karol, Tamasy Terezia etc. Among the noblemen having owned Şalcău are: Maurer Andreias. Miske Ştefan and his successors Eperjesi Klara, Toldi Ludovic etc.
In 1852 the first school was founded, but the inhabitants did not have a special building devoted to that activity. The educational activity took place in a house located in the north-west of the village, in the area called “Grui”. In 1874 reference was made to the first school in Şalcău village, and in 1911 a special building was erected for the school, in the centre of the village, from the inhabitants’ money.
In Metiş village, the Evangelic church dedicated to the Holy Cross, now a historic monument, was constructed at the beginning of the 15th century. It was demolished in 1861 when the construction of a new neo-Gothic church began. It was consecrated in 1863 by Bishop Georg Paul Binder. In the same year, a new altar was acquired, the largest part of which was built in Vienna. The altar painting shows Jesus delivering a sermon; it bears the inscription “Painted by Emil Pirchen”. The organ dates from 1793 and was constructed by Samuel Mătz of Biertan. In 1862 it was repaired and mounted in the new church. To the western side of the church there is attached the bell tower, which was constructed at the beginning of 15th century, like the old three-storeyed church. The upper storey, with battlements, pitch-throwing openings and a gallery, nowadays quite deteriorated, was constructed at the beginning of the 16th century for defence purposes. In 1963 capital repairs were executed.
Metis village was founded in 1290 by Count Nikolaus von Talmesch. The Evangelic church in Metiș was first mentioned in 1414, when reference was also made to its patron: the Holy Cross. The construction of that edifice began still in the 14th century, but only the western tower still exists out of the old constructions. The old church was demolished in 1861, and the new church was concluded two years later. It was consecrated in 1863 by Bishop Georg Paul Binder. Also in 1863 the new altar, built in Vienna, was purchased. The altar painting shows Jesus delivering a sermon; it bears the inscription “Painted by Emil Pircher". The organ dates from 1793 and was constructed by Samuel Mătz of Biertan.
To the western side of the church there is attached the bell tower, which was constructed at the beginning of 15th century, like the old three-storeyed church. The upper storey, with battlements, pitch-throwing openings and a gallery, nowadays quite deteriorated, was constructed at the beginning of the 16th century for defence purposes.
A single tower was preserved out of the old fortifications that are known from the 19th century graphic representations, the largest part of the curtain wall being demolished in 1898. In 1963 capital repairs were executed. The fortified church in Moardăș, dedicated to Saint Nicholas, was constructed in the 14th century. It is a Gothic church with one nave.
The bell tower collapsed in 1880. The altar was constructed by a certain Petersberger in 1789. The Crucifixion painting dates from 1700. The church was renovated in 1913 and in 1959. The organ, constructed by Samuel Mätz, has 10 ranks and no pedal keyboard. It was renovated by Sibian Emanuel Hradik in 1873. During the first world war, the organ pipes were confiscated so as to use their metal for was purposes. Only in 1963, on a renovation, the organ was made functional again, with new pipes. In 1993, the organ was sold in Oradea.
The population of the little village of Răvăşel, originally a Catholic population but subsequently Lutheran, constructed a first church in the 16th century. In 1825 the present church, which boasts an altar dated 1751, was constructed on the site of the old one. Nowadays it is deserted. The organ was purchased by the people of Sebeş, the altar is exhibited in the church in Mediaş. The church is tilted because of landslides.