The village was founded on the site of a Roman settlement, set up in the first half of the 2nd century (probably right after the province was conquered), which existed until the last quarter of the 3rd century. Archaeological researches discovered one of the largest pottery centres in Roman Dacia, wall foundations, roof tiles and a treasure containing 168 Roman coins, of which 165 are imperial and 3 are republican.
The first documentary attestation dates from June 3, 1267, when Stefan, ruler of Transylvania and co-regent of Hungary, instructs the cathedral chapter of Alba Iulia, nobleman Nicolaus, his son Jula and his grandson Jula Magnus to take over some estates among which Mediaş and Mykaszáza2.
Priest “Johannes von Michazaz” is member of the clergy in Târnava Mare. In 1322, the king concedes Micăsasa, Valea Lungă, Pănade and Şona to magister Nikolaus, son of Corrardus von Talmesch. Some misunderstandings occur and, in 1359, the king orders that the estates having been unlawfully occupied by the Grafs in Şeica Mare and Şeica Mică be returned to their old owners.
In 1365, the village appears among the settlements belonging to the cathedral chapter of Bălcaciu. On August 19, 1365, “Because oblivion is the mother of denunciation, the eldmother of peace and the instigator of disputes, it is necessary that what is lawfully intended be backed up with greater attention by evidence in writing” “comitibus de villa Fugonis et eorum complicibus” (to the county rulers in Micăsasa and their abettors). It was about a new mill constructed by the people of Şeica Mică, which would have deranged the mill of the county rules in Micăsasa.
In 1426, the two daughters of Thomas of Cluj, Dorothea and Margaretha, became the owners of Micăsasa, which no longer belonged to the king.
The map of Transylvania, published by Honterus in Basel in 1532, makes reference to Micăsasa village (of course, to the town of Mediaş as well).
In 1673, the Hungarian noblemen in Micăsasa describe the decaying state of the village church and they ask for approval to repair it. Bishop Adami allows the repair of the church but with the observance of the following requirements:
- Never in future be issued any claim over the church, the church courtyard or the bells, and never intrude upon the priest in performing his duties.
- The priest receive the tithe from Saxons, Hungarians and Romanians; and
- Never try to expel the priest from the village.
As the requirements were not met, in 1676 the head of the cathedral chapter of Bălcaciu is instructed by the synod to notify the violations. In 1762, a visit to church revealed that there were few participants in the religious sermon. About 100 of Romanian, Hungarian and Saxon families were then living in the village.
In 1776, according to a court sentence in a murder trial, the priest, the cantor, a mill worker and a servant of Micăsasa were beheaded in the village of Târnava Mare (Proştea Mare).
In 1787, Gh. Şincai set up a Romanian school in Micăsasa, the first schoolteacher being Mihai Renci.
In 1782, the king granted the Evangelic church to the Roman-Catholic community, so that in 1791 the Hungarian noblemen embezzled the largest part of the church wealth. Micăsasa is located in the transition area between the regions dwelt by Romanians, Hungarians and Saxons, and this location also affected the destiny of the village church which is a historic monument.
The church constructed in the 14th century was a Gothic basilica made up of choir and hall. At the beginning of the 18th century, the owner of the estates, Baron Adam Radak, of Reformed religion, married Countess Olga Lazăr, of Catholic religion. The dilemma that occurred was settled as Columbus solved the egg issue: the Baron ordered that the church be divided in two, and granted the choir to Catholic believers and a western part of the hall to Reformed believers. Such a state has remained unchanged for three hundred years, only it is not recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records. Even the bells were divided: the 1591 bell, carved with the inscription “Anno Domini 1591”, belongs to the Calvin community, and the 1649 bell, bearing the inscription “Sub Afficio Pastoratu S Ana CUTS RENOVAT EST 1649”, to the Catholic believers. To my great sorrow, the church was closed, the person in charge with the keys could not be found, so I did not succeed in getting beyond the southern wall of the former nave, now a decorative wall.
The Gothic ribbed vault of the choir is supported by tori which correspond outside to three-step buttresses, but such archaisms are not exceptions. Anyhow, the flamboyant mouldings of the windows are a telling proof of late Gothic period. The sacramental bay of the tabernacle and a sedile are on the southern wall. The choir has a polygonal apse, on one of its sides being one of the two pointed-arch bipartite windows. Both churches have two small portals on the southern side. The western hall has a flat ceiling and lacks Gothic decorations. Only the southern wall survived from the central nave throughout the centuries.