COPȘA MICĂ

copsa micaThe town Copşa Mică is situated at a 12 km distance from Mediaş and it is more than 600 years old. Even if the recent history of the town lies under the sign of factories built during the communism, attracting a negative fame to the place, the community has a beautiful history which cannot be left unobserved. Thus, the history of the place says that on the place of the present Evangelic Church, in the 15th century a guard tower was built around which the locality was settled, being the old center of the town. The old people tell stories that this tower was a small customs point for the merchants who traveled towards Mediaş and Blaj, hence the name of the locality Copşa Mică-Poarta Mică (the small gate), as a translation from Hungarian. Copşa Mică is a place of cultural diversity and to this purpose the diversity of the population is a proof. In Copşa Mică one can visit the Lutheran Church, a religious place which was built and used by the Lutheran Hungarian population, a thing that is seldom met in the Plateau of Târnave, as the influence of the Saxons determined the adoption of the Lutheran Reform during the medieval period, the church being in gothic style with baroque influences. One can also visit the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, as well as the fortified Church in Târnăvioara, an edifice built in the 15th century.

Members

  • Alma +

    A Gothic hall church is in the village, enlisted among the historic monuments of Sibiu county. The religious building used by the Calvin parishioners Read More
  • Ațel +

    The documentary attestation of the village dates from 1283, when Petru, bishop of Transylvania, concedes three parts of the tithe due to cathedral chapter Read More
  • Axente Sever +

    The church, dedicated to All Saints, was mentioned for the first time in 1322. Constructed at the beginning of the 14th century in early Read More
  • Bahnea +

    One of the first documentary attestations of Bahnea village is in 1291, when it was mentioned in one of the documents issued by Roland Read More
  • Biertan +

    The mediaeval fortress of Biertan, with its four rows of walls and nine towers and bastions (that’s right: four walls and nine towers), due Read More
  • Blăjel +

    In 1373 the settlement was mentioned in chronicles thanks to Antonius, son of Ştefan Blasius of Blăjel (Bellastella), who gave his estate (Blăjel and Read More
  • Brateiu +

    The first information about the village dates from 1283, when Petru, bishop of Transylvania, concedes three parts of the tithe due to the cathedral Read More
  • Cenade +

    The fortified church in Cenade, Cenade village, Alba county, was constructed in the 13th century as a small Roman church (the choir of the Read More
  • Cetatea de Baltă +

    In 1462, King Matei Corvin conceded Cetatea de Baltă together with the entire estate to Ioan Pongratz, Prince of Transylvania, for an amount of Read More
  • Copșa Mică +

    The town Copşa Mică is situated at a 12 km distance from Mediaş and it is more than 600 years old. Even if the Read More
  • Daneș +

    The Evangelic church in Daneş was constructed at the beginning of the 16th century. In the same period, the gallery with ramparts and battlements Read More
  • Dumbrăveni +

    The town of Dumbrăveni, which has about 10,000 inhabitants, is located 18 km east of Mediaş, on national road DN14, on the right bank Read More
  • Hoghilag +

    The oldest documentary attestation of Hoghilag village is in a document of 1335, which refers to a priest called Johannes in Târnava Archdiocese. In Read More
  • Jidvei +

    The fortified church in Jidvei village was protected until the 19th century by a double wall with two defence towers and a bastion. But Read More
  • Laslea +

    The village is located about 28 km east of Mediaş, on a secondary road winding from national road DN14 toward south. The first documentary Read More
  • Mediaș +

    It is quite difficult to make a brief presentation of tourist landmarks in Mediaş. The largest share thereof consists of historic and mediaeval art Read More
  • Micăsasa +

    The village was founded on the site of a Roman settlement, set up in the first half of the 2nd century (probably right after Read More
  • Mihăileni +

    In 1324, King Karol Robert of Anjou seized Şalcău estate and the fortress there, which was owned by loan county ruler of Tălmaci, and Read More
  • Moșna +

    In 1662, Prince Apafi was preparing to leave Mediaş in order to avoid an armed confrontation with his opponent, Prince Kemény. One night before Read More
  • Șeica Mică +

    Şeica Mică is located at about 23 km east of Mediaş, in the Şeica spring valley. Numerous archaeological investigations were made in the vicinity Read More
  • Șona +

    The fortified church is a significant historic monument. At the beginning of the 16th century, a hall church with narrow choir was constructed in Read More
  • Valea Lungă +

    The documentary attestation of Valea Lungă village dates from the beginning of the 14th century. In 1309 reference was made to the existence of Read More
  • Valea Viilor +

    Valea Viilor is 16 km west of Mediaş and 5 km south of Copşa Mică. Copşa Mică is attested in documents from the 13th Read More
  • Viișoara +

    The Evangelic Church in Viisoara is a hall provided with a bell tower on its western side. The nave is covered with a star Read More
  • 1