Cenade village was attested in documents in 1301, as an estate belonging to Igriș Abbey in the old Episcopacy of Cenade. Fragments of Dacian and Roman pots were unearthed on the site of the settlement.
A massif of halite and salted springs were discovered within the perimeter of the settlement. František Pošepný makes reference to the salted springs in Cenade village in his paper published in 1871.
The fortified church in Cenade, Cenade village, Alba county, was constructed in the 13th century as a small Roman church (the choir of the present church), which was extended and fortified in the 15th century. The compound is on the list of historic monuments.
The edifice is located in the north of Cenade village. The church was originally a Romanic basilica, then it became the choir of the Gothic church built in the 15th century. The church nave is hall-type, in Gothic style, with a tower on the western side. It was provided with a curtain wall with gun ports and wood gallery inside, having a gate tower and buttresses. A mediaeval ossuary exists below the church choir The portals and gates have oak doors dated 1522.
The fortified church in Cenade attests the material power of the local community, who constructed and maintained the fortification. The monument suffered changes along the centuries: the western tower collapsed in 1860, the choir was reconstructed in 1905-1906, in 1937 it was renovated. Today, out of the fortified enclosure of the church, there still exist the gate tower on the southern side (partially destroyed in 1927), next to which the building of the old school was erected (integrated into the enclosure wall), and part of the enclosure wall on the northern side. A wood bell tower was constructed south of the choir renovated at the beginning of the 20th century.
It is one of the most representative compounds of its type in the area. Its restoration began in the last years of the 20th century.